Friday 23 April 2010

The Brief

When given the Visualisation brief, I began to think about the many varied subject matters I could focus on over the weeks, and ultimately I wanted to follow a line of thought that would be appropriate with, and adhere to, the principles of Animation. With this in mind my initial thoughts were to just focus on the area I am most comfortable with. The human figure.

I began to use the weekly lifedrawing sessions to really highlight the areas I most wanted to focus on, at the time this was more about the shape and form of the human figure, and how the line of action can be interpreted using various mark making techniques.

These are some examples of my studies in the line of action.


When I start a sketch out I'm always using my loose lines to create the skeleton, as it were, of the figure, even going so far as to visualise the joints and their arcs pinpointed at the shoulders and hips specifically. This helps for me to capture the depth and three dimentionality of the thumbnail.

These sketches show my loose linework only vaguely suggesting the human figure, whilst the thick black line represents the line of action that can be traces throughout each of them.



When the subject matter is moving, I can rely on the position of his feet which don't move, so they become a sort of Anchor to the drawing. They remain a constant, whilst from the waste up the whole body is turning from left to right. This helps to centre my sketch, and to keep both images fitting coherently with each other.


Also of note is how the line of action dramatically changes, and the weight shifts from one leg to another. Desipte the fact he is relatively umoved from the waste down, it is important to pinpoint this shift in weight.












No comments:

Post a Comment